100 Good Wishes - One Squish at a Time!

To welcome and celebrate a new life, there is a tradition in the northern part of China to make a Bai Jia Bei, or 100 Good Wishes Quilt. It is a custom to invite friends and family to contribute a patch of cloth with a wish for the baby. Part of the patch of cloth goes into the quilt for the baby, and the other part of the cloth can go into a creative memory notebook with the wish for the child. The quilt contains the luck, energy, and good wishes from all the families and friends who contribute a piece of fabric.

Google Search

Google

Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Squish #134


Dear Lia,

I chose this fabric for your quilt because it is covered with my favorite flowers fuchsias. When I was a little girl there was a path in our backyard that had fuchsia bushes growing on either side. When I was your age I would walk along this path and the fuchsias were way taller than me. I imagined I was in a special hidden garden all my own.

Just before a fuchsia flower opens - it is a little closed pod that looks like it is about to burst. I know we are not supposed to get in the way of nature and rush a flower to bloom, but I found that those fuchsia pods were so tempting and fun to pop open. My wish for you is that you will appreciate those magical moments in a garden when you see a flower you've never seen before and it reminds you how every single living thing on earth (especially YOU) is unique and profoundly special.

Lia, I can't wait to walk through a fuchsia garden with you and have you help me pick out the BIGGEST PLUMPEST bloom to POP.

Love,
Your Great Aunt Kathy

No comments: